John Wesley, the founder of the Methodist Church, believed that Christianity was “essentially a social religion.” That is, one that existed not only in worship but in becoming more like Christ by loving, serving, and healing our neighbor. To turn the Christian faith “into a solitary one,” said Wesley, “is to destroy it.”
As disciples of the Living God, we are open to the Spirit of the Lord not only working in us, but through us. Our members are involved in the work of God here in Alabaster and around the world
We are looking for volunteers! If any of these sound like you, contact the church so we can help you get connected!
- Aaron’s Staff respite care is in need of more hands on deck to help with their monthly program at FUMCA
Some of the ongoing local opportunities for loving and serving our neighbors include:
- Aaron’s Staff: Volunteers help provide respite care for children with disabilities and their families on the third Saturday of the month at FUMC Alabaster. We also welcome all who are interested to worship with the children and families Aaron’s Staff serves once a month in Restore.
- Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts: Several scout troops meet at FUMC Alabaster. Contact the church office for more information.
- Card Care Ministry: This group works to reach out with words of hope and love through sending cards to people who are in need of encouragement.
- Heartstrings:If you can crochet, knit, or sew, Heartstrings would love to put you to work! Heartstrings makes prayer shawls and quilts for those in need of comfort. Monthly meetings are a time to catch up, pray, and teach and learn new stitches and skills.
- Kairos: Kairos is a prison ministry designed to share Christ with those who are incarcerated. Available to all Alabama correctional facilities, Kairos works closely with the Alabama Department of Corrections. Kairos is supported by the prayers, service, and donations of individuals and churches throughout the state.
- Kids First: FUMCA has worked to support Kids First for many years. Volunteers are always needed to help kids in Simsville with their homework, play games, or lead a fun activity. During the school year this happens Monday-Thursday from 4pm to 5pm at Kids First Awareness Center.
Other Ministry Opportunities
Seasonal Projects: During the holiday season, there are exciting ways to serve our neighbors.